3-5 Years old = duckling badges in order 1-4
Year 1: Puffin Badge, Shark 1, 5 metre badge
Year 2: Shark 2, 10 metre badge, Shark 3
Year 3: 15 metres, Shark 4, 20 metres
Year 4: 25 metres, 50 metres,
Year 5: Shark 5, 100metres, Shark 6
Year 6: 200 metres. Shark 7, 400 metres
Year 7: Shark 8, Shark 9 (not yet created), Shark 10 (not yet created)
Year 8: Bronze Challenge, 800 metres , Silver Challenge, Gold Challenge
Year 9: Personal Survival 1, Personal Survival 2, 1000metres
Year 10: Honours Challenge, School Speed Awards, 1 mile badge
*Aim to alternate Distance Badge i.e Puffin one term, followed by Skills Badge (shark 1) the next term and so on).
Buoyancy Aids can be used
- Enter pool unaided and move around confidently.
- Fully Submerge
- Put face in water and blow bubbles for 5 secs
- Float on back and buoyancy aids for 5 secs and then regain feet
- Float on float with buoyancy aids for 5 secs and then regain feet.
- Push and glide away from poolside on front using buoyancy aids.
- Push and glide away from poolside on back using buoyancy aids
- Kick 5 meters on front using buoyancy aids
- Kick 5 meters on back using buoyancy aids
- Walk around the pool, demonstrating an alternating pulling action under the surface.
- Walk around the pool, demonstrating a simultaneous arm action under the surface.
- Jump up and down 5 times in the water.
Candidates are required to attempt all elements, but are only required to pass on ten
(All elements to be performed without buoyancy aids unless otherwise stated)
- Push and glide from wall on front
- Push and glide from wall on back
- Front front –lying floating position , turn on to back
- From back lying floating position
- Float on front for 5 secs and then regain feet
- Float on back for 5 secs and then regain feet
- Using floats, or the side of the pool holding rail, demonstrate a simultaneous breast stroke kick, with feet turned out.
- In shallow water, pick up an object from the pool bottom.
- (To be performed either with one arm on the rail at poolside, or with one arm on float and kicking legs): Demonstrate 6 strokes of over-arm front crawl action, with a breath to the side each time. Repeat with one arm.
- With buoyancy aids, kick 10 metres alternating backstroke leg action.
- Using arms and legs, swim 5 m unaided on front or back.
(Candidates are required to attempt all elements but are only required to pass in 9).
All elements to be completed without buoyancy aids unless stated.
- Demonstrate a simultaneous breaststroke kick, with buoyancy aids, for 5 metres
- Perform a mushroom float for 5 seconds
- Submerge and swim 2 – 3 metres underwater
- From a push and glide, demonstrate over-arm front crawl with face in water for 5 + metres. Attempt at least one breath
- On the surface or below the water, demonstrate 5m dolphin butterfly kick.
- From a push and glide, demonstrate at least 5 metres over aim backstroke.
- In a vertical position, rotate 360o with feet off the bottom.
- In a horizontal position, rotate 360o, rolling over on water surface.
- In a standing position demonstrate a sculling action with fingers pointing up, repeat with fingers pointing down.
- Swim 10 metres front or back, using arms and legs*
Candidates must attempt all elements but are only required to pass in 8.
(No buoyancy aids to be used)
- Swim 10 metres front crawl with breathing
- Swim 15 metres overarm backstroke,.
- Swim 5 metres breast stroke
- Scull head first for 5 metres
- From push from wall, swim 4 metres underwater to retrieve an object from the bottom of the pool bottom.
- Tread water for 5 seconds
- With face in the water, swim 5m butterfly kick, bringing in 2 complete arm cycles
- Using a surface dive, swim through a submerged hoop.
- Answer 3 questions on water safety
- Perform handstand
(No buoyancy aids to be used)
- Swim 25 m front crawl
- Swim 25m backstroke
- Swim 10 m breaststroke
- Swim 5m butterfly.
- Swim in water of full reach depth, 5 metres to an object submerged on pool bottom, retrieve using a surface dive, bring to the surface and return with it to the side
- Perform a forward somersault in the water
- Perform a touch turn on front crawl, gliding always using an underwater dolphin kick.
- Perform a touch turn in backstroke
- Scull feet first for 5 metres.
- Jump into the water (minimum depth 1.2m)
- Swim 50 m with any stroke, with basic technique
- Swim 25m breaststroke
- Swim 15 m butterfly
- Perform front crawl tumble turn
- Tread Water for 15 secs
- Perform a backstroke turn.
- Swim 10 metres, backstroke, turn over onto front, somersault, stretch out on back and swim back.
- Swim 10 metres headfirst scull, 5 m stationary scull then return with 10m feet first scull.
- Using breaststroke leg kick, swim 15 metres on back holding object on chest
- Perform a feet first surface dive.
- Swim 25m butterfly
- Swim 100m using 2 different strokes
- Swim 25m in clothes (*pyjamas or t-shirt and shorts)
- Perform a back stoke tumble turn
- Perform a shallow racing dive or 3 different jumps into the water
- Tread water for 30 secs
- Performing a feet-first surface dive, pick up an object from the pool bottom and swim 10m with it to the side.
- Perform a butterfly turn, incorporating underwater kicking action away from the wall.
- Swim a 4 x 1 length Individual Medley (minimum pool length 15m)
- Swim 5 metres propelling a ball and throw into a hoop 5m away.
- Perform a straddle jump.
- Swim 25m in less than 30 seconds
- Perform shallow racing dive, demonstrating either grab or track start and correct underwater phase and breakout into stroke.
- Swim 400m using 2 different strokes
- Swim 50 m including 2 surface dives.
- Answer 3 questions on water rescue
- Demonstrate a throwing or reaching rescues
- Demonstrate a relay take over
- Perform a 4 x25m Individual Medley with correct turns.
- Tread water for 2 mins, 30 secs of which to be with one arm above head.
5 Metres – Kicking on front or back with or without arms
10 Metres – Kicking on front or back with or without arms
15 Metres – Arms and legs front or back does not have to be well coordinated just moving arms and legs is ok
20 Metres – Technique improving and coordination beginning to come in regular breathing
25 Metres – Well coordinated Frontcrawl with side breathing or nice overarm Backstroke well coordinated
50 Metres – Well coordinated Frontcrawl with side breathing or nice overarm Backstroke well coordinated (can be more than 1 stroke i.e 1 Frontcrawl and 1 Backstoke or 1 Breastroke
100 Metres and above – Good technique, breathing, coordination and timing